Established in 1851 also known as Madras Museum, factually being the second oldest museum of India (after Kolkata’s Indian Museum), this museum is a treasure in itself! As a rich repository of finest masterpieces of art, archaeology, anthropology, numismatics and much more, the Madras Museum assures to lure one and all, spread across an area of 16.25 acres of land, the Government Museum is also counted among the largest museums of South Asia. Its campus has six independent buildings with 46 galleries. Timings: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm holiday on Friday Entrance Fees (approximately): Indians: Adult Rs.15/- Children Rs.10/- Foreigners: Adult Rs.250/- Children Rs.125/- Photography Charges: Still Camera Rs.200/- Video Camera Rs.500/-
The campus of Sri Ramakrishna Math is pervaded with an atmosphere of palpable holiness. Anyone who sits in the temple, even for a few minutes, feels profound calmness and soothing serenity. With its lush green surroundings, the Math is an ideal place for the practice of contemplation and meditation. The Math stands as a bright symbol of religious harmony—a place where all are welcome, irrespective of caste, race, nationality or religion. Temple Timings: 5.00 am – 11:45 am and 3.00 pm – 9.00 pm
One of the sacred shrines in Chennai with a lovely and majestic tower exhibits the Dravidian style of architecture. There is a big tank [water body] on its Western Side. The temple and the tank is surrounded by Broad streets on the four sides. The picturesque temple is amidst the crowded residential area. The legend says, Goddess Parvati worshipped Siva in the form of peacock, (means Mayil in Tamil) hence this name Mylapore. Kapaleeswarar and Karpagambal are the main deities. Replicas of 63 revered Saivaite Saints called Nayanmars are located here. Timings: 5.00 a.m. - 12.00 noon and 4.00 p.m. – 9.00 p.m.
Santhome church is one of the Basilica built over the tomb of an Apostle in the world. It is believed that the remains of St. Thomas were intermed / Buried in this beach in 78 AD, on which a Church was built. Several years later it was shifted to the present location further towards the land. It houses the mortal remains of St.Thomas. Since then this is popularly called as Santhome Church. Pope John Paul II visited and prayed at this tomb on 5th February 1986. Timings: 6:00 am – 9:00 pm
One of the few light houses in the world with an elevator and the only lighthouse in India within the city limits. It is also a green lighthouse, with a solar panel for power. Open Timings: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm (Holiday on Every Monday) Entrance Fee: Rs 50/- per foreigner adult (approximately).
It is the pride of Chennai and the Second Longest Beach in the World with distance of 6.0 km (3.7 mi) making it the longest natural urban beach in the country. Bathing and swimming at the Marina Beach are legally prohibited because of the dangers, The stretch opposite to the beach is occupied by Madras University, Government Departments, Senate House, Presidency college, Cricket Stadium and Swami Vivekananda Memorial House
Earlier known as Ice House or Castle Kernan, is a historical building in Chennai, India. It was constructed in 1842 by Frederic Tudor. Indian Saint Swami Vivekananda stayed in the building when he visited Chennai in 1897 and was later renamed in his honor. Timings: 10.00 am – 12:30 pm noon and 3.00 pm – 7.15 pm Closed on Mondays, Entry fee for per Adult: Rs.20/- (Subject to change).
Dating back to the 8th century Parthasarathi temple is believed to be the oldest temple in Chennai. It was previously constructed by the Pallava kings and was further renovated by the Vijayanagar rulers. The temple is a combination of various architectural styles with inscriptions from the time of Pallavas, Chola and Vijayanagar on its walls. The gopuram (towers) and mandapas (pillars) are decorated with elaborate carvings a standard feature of Dravidian temple architecture, (open time: 5:00 am to 12 noon and 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm)
This museum is home to a massive collection of around 3661 antique items that, in the best of ways, depict artifacts of different ages of modern Indian history. A treasure trove of a collection in this museum is spread across three floors and divided into 10 galleries. Visiting Hours : 9.00 am to 5.00 p.m - Closed on Fridays - Entrance Fee (approximately): Indians Rs.5/- and Foreigners Rs.100/-
Situated within the Fort St. George, the tower like church of St Mary is also known as "Westminster Abbey of the East". It is the first Anglican Church in Asia and was built in 1680. It witnessed the tying of the nuptial knot of Robert Clive with Governor Elihu Yale, who was pioneer of Yale University. Today the church is taken care of by the Archaeological Survey of India.
It was built in the year 1913. The white building and 132 ft tall clock tower is the solid attraction of this structure. It is the Administrative Complex and Council Assembly House of the Chennai City Corporation. The building was named by the British in honour of Lord Ripon who was the Governor General and father of Self-Government in India (Exterior view only - Visitors not allowed inside)
Classical language Park or Semmozhi Punga, as it is called in Tamil, is a botanical garden considered among the best in the world. Located near the Anna flyover, the 20 acres Garden has been meticulously landscape by the Chennai Horticulture department. It has more than 500 species of plants, in addition to 83 pre-existing trees of which some are more than 100 years old.
The 275 ft tall rock structure is said to be one of the oldest formations in the world. It is 3.8 billion years old, making it as old as the rocks in Greenland and older than the Himalayas, The Pallavas initially built this temple, but the Nayaks made use of its naturally fortified position and designed it again. It is a long climb up the 344 steps cut into the stone to the top from the top one can have a view entire city. In the Shiva Temple where the lingam is said to be projection of the rock itself and Lord Vinayagr is the attraction of this rockfort, from the top you can view of entire city.
The World's largest functioning Hindu Temple, and it has been nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, accupies an area of 155 acres with 50 shrines, 21 towers, 39 pavilions and many water tanks integrated into the complex making it the world's largest functioning Hindu temple. This Temple dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu, it is one among the 108 Divya Desams dedicated to Vishnu (open time: 06:00 am to 21:00 pm) (no darshan between 7 am to 9 am, 12 noon to 13 pm, 18 pm to 19 pm)
Thiruvanaikaval Jambukeshwarar temple was built by one of the Early Chola Emperor Kocengannan (Kochenga Chola) in around 1,800 years ago. One of the five major Shiva Temples of Tamil Nadu (Panchabhoota Sthalams) representing the Mahābhūta or five great elements; this temple represents the element of water (open time: 06:30 am to 12:00 pm and 17:00 pm to 20:00 pm)
The dam was originally built by King Karikalan of the Chola Dynasty in the 2nd century AD. Grand Anicut is the fourth-oldest water-diversion or water-regulator structures in the world and the oldest in India which is still in use , The dam was re-modeled by the British during the 19th century. In 1804, Captain Caldwell, a military engineer, was appointed by the British to make a study on the Kaveri river and promote irrigation for the delta region
This replica of World Famous Basilica of Lourdes in Southern France, constructed in the year 1840 AD. The main tower is 220 feet in height, It is a remarkable feat of Indian Craftsmanship and Glass Paintings, The Our Lady of Lourdes Church bell is set at a height of 90 feet
This Museum is walkable distance from the rock fort temple, It is known as The Government Museum Tiruchirappalli, opens from 9:30am to 5pm (closed on Sundays),The museum contains array of exhibits relating to geology, zoology, paintings, anthropology, epigraphy and history.
In Tamil 'Manal' means sand and 'Kulam' means pond near the sea, earlier which was full of sand around pond. So the people called the god as Manal Kulathu Vinayagar which translates as 'God near the pond of sand'. The temple is dedicated to the worship of Lord Ganesha. The monumental interiors of the temple are decorated with forty incarnations and forms of Lord Ganesha, carved on the stone walls of the temple. The golden spire forms the superstructure of the temple and is the steeple that crowns the place of worship. Within the premises of the temple lies the shrine devoted to Lord Murugan. (Timings 6am to 12:30pm and 4pm to 9:30pm)
This Museum has a wide collection of impressive things from the Pallava and Chola dynasties like rare bronzes and stone sculptures. It also has objects found in an ancient port site Arikamedu 7km from the main city. Slos, you can find wide collections of Greek and Roman Jars, collection of temple lamps, 200 year old beads and precious stones and also some Chinese objects from the Tsung period. (It remains open between 10.00 to 05.00 pm all days except Mondays and national holidays)
Admire the colonial architecture and historic landmarks as you stroll along Seaside Promenade in the former French territory of Pondicherry, and spend some time at the Rock Beach, Statue Of Mahatma Gandhi is 13 ft height stands on the Beach Road, surrounded by eight magnificent granite carved monolithic pillars, French War Memorial is dedicated to those soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the country during World War I. It was built in 1971.
The Botanical Gardens were laid out in 1826 in ornate French style, with pruned trees, beautiful flower beds and gravel lined paths and fountains. The French introduced many exotic plants from all over the world, many of which thrived. The sprawling 22 acres garden houses more than 1500 species of plants with placards indicating the species, common name and interesting information like the uses of the tree, amount of oxygen generated and its medicinal value; this could well qualify as one of the best botanical gardens in South India. This garden adds great educational and recreational value to Puducherry.
Auroville is an experimental community in southern India. It was founded in 1968 by the spiritual leader Mirra Alfassa as a town where people from all over the world could live in harmony. Its focal point is the Matrimandir (prior appointment required if you want to get into Martimandir inside), a futuristic, spherical temple covered in gold discs. Auroville Botanical Gardens protects the region’s tropical dry evergreen forest.
The Government Park or Bharathi Park is in the green centre of the French Town and its lush trees provide ample relief from the scorching sun on a hot summer day. Strolling under the cool trees is as dynamic as it gets unless people rush to the spot when an occasional movie is being shot.
The Aayi Mandapam has become the unmistakable centre from which four lanes divide the Park in almost equal parts. The area is dotted with ancient sculptures and not so ancient statues.
The Ashram was set up in 1926 by Aurobindo Ghosh (Sri Aurobindo), one of India's greatest philosopher-poets, who originally came to Pondy to escape persecution by the British. It was after arriving in Puducherry, that he immersed into the spiritual realm and discovered the power of yoga. His philosophy was deeply rooted in yoga and his writings inspired a number of followers. It is open to the public daily between 0800-1200hrs and 1400-1800hrs. Children below 3 years of age are not allowed into the Ashram and photography is allowed only with permission of the Ashram authorities.
The church of Our Lady of Angels stands in the former Capuchins' square, surrounded by the streets Dumas, Surcouf and Romain Rolland. Between the church and the sea lies a little garden, in the middle of which stands a statue of Joan of Arc, armoured and carrying a battle standard. The statue and the garden bearing her name, were acquired and gifted by Francois Gaudart, politician and industrialist, shortly before his return to France in 1919. The statue was installed in April 1923.
One of the most beautiful and revered church in Pondicherry and its about 300 years old church, built in the Portuguese style and the residence of the Bishop. Very well located in a strategic place, the church is popular among local catholic Christians. The Immaculate Conception Cathedral is a magnificent structure with beautifully constructed interior and exterior designs and worth visiting to understand the rich Catholic religious heritage the French passed on in Pondicherry (presently known as Puducherry) of India.
This 100 years old historical church is 50mts. long 48mts. wide and 18mts. high with Latin rite cross shape in aerial view is in Gothic style. 24 main columns hold the structure. A biblical verse from 2nd Chronicles 7:16 is written above the entrance door in Latin "sanctificavi locum istum, ut sit nomen meum ibi" which means "I have consecrated this house, that my name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there forever."
Inside the church there are glass pictures of 28 saints who were related to the devotion of Sacred Heart of Jesus. Statues of the four evangelists were erected, beneath which there are four lamp posts describing their lives and inviting Jesus and the twelve apostles, on the front facade. The Grotto for Sacred Heart of Jesus facing the City Railway Station were added and the church illuminated inside and out with chandeliers, focus and flood lights.
The French War Memorial (Monument aux combattants des Indes francaises morts pour la patrie) on Goubert Avenue is a solemn reminder of those brave soldiers who laid down their lives, for their country during the First World War. It was erected in 1937 and inaugurated on April 3, 1938 by the governor Crocicchia. Behind the memorial is a bronze bas-relief representing the arrival of Dupleix in Pondicherry in 1742.
Every year on the 14th July (Bastille Day) the memorial is beautifully illuminated and homage is paid to those brave martyrs.
(Entry into the grounds of the war memorial is restricted.)
Puducherry town is also known as Ved Vaphari and Vidhuwannam. This temple dedicated to Lord Shiva - also known as the Eashwaran Dharmaraj Koil - is located on M.G. Road, adjacent to the Varadaraja Perumal Temple. Its 75 feet tall colourful 'gopuram' is adorned by statues of gods and goddesses like most temples in South India.
The cleanest iconic in India and also one of the top 30 nominees of the 'New Seven Wonders of the World'. This temple has the ninth-tallest gopuram (170 ft) in the world, built during 1623 to 1655 CE and known to host an estimated 33,000 sculptures, And the notable 'Thousand Pillared Hall', each pillar portraits the Dravidian deities, just outside this hall, towards the west, are the Musical Pillars. Each pillar, when struck, produces a different musical note. Meenakshi Amman Temple is a major pilgrimage destination within the Shaivism tradition, dedicated to Meenakshi Devi and Shiva. However, the temple includes Vishnu in many narratives, sculptures and rituals as he is considered to be Meenakshi's brother (Open Times: 5 am to 12.30 pm and 4 pm to 9.30 pm, Temple Art Museum-1000 Pillar Hall Opening Hours: 07:00 to 12:30 and 16:00 to 20:00)
This 3rd Century Temple was initially built during Pandya reign, while the pillars and shrine were developed later during Vijayanagar dynasty and the rule of Madurai Nayak kings. The five-tiered rajagopuram which is the gateway is one of the most attractive features of this temple. The temple and all its shrines are surrounded by granite walls. The main shrine of the temple has the idol of main deity Koodal Azhagar. There is shrine of Goddess Madhuravalli who is the consort of Koodal Azhagar towards the south. Along with this, there are many small shrines of other God and Goddesses such as Lord Krishna, Lord Rama, Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Narayana. Worship Time: Morning - 05.30 AM - 12.00 PM Evening - 04.00 PM - 09.00 PM
This palace was considered to be one of the wonders of the South in the 17th century. It is a classic fusion of Dravidian and Rajput styles, The most notable feature are gigantic pillars with wideness of around 19 feet and height of 82 feet, there are a total of 248 pillars, the interior is richly decorated whilst the exterior is treated in a more austere style (open time 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (lunch break: 01.00 pm to 01.30 pm) sound & light Show Time: 6.45 pm to 7.35 pm in English)
A temple pond complex with a man-made island in the middle considered as one of the largest temple tanks not only in Tamil Nadu but in South India, this temple tanks receives its water from the River Vaigai. Built in 1645 AD during the rule of Thirumalai Nayak, this temple pond is surrounded by granite steps on all the four sides while in the middle a Vigneshwara Temple is located, which is dedicated to Lord Vinayaka/ Lord Ganesha. These long stairs around the pond along with the temple were built by King Thirumalai Nayak.
The building that houses the Gandhi Memorial Museum, Madurai is the historic Tamukkam Palace belonging to Rani Mangammal of Nayak Dynasty built about 1670 A.D. It exhibits in the Museum include a original letter written personally by Gandhi to Shri Narayanan Sathsangi of Devakottai.
The Museum contains a ‘Visual Biography of Bapuji’ containing photos, paintings, sculptures, manuscripts, quotations and some of the selected photostat copies of many of the letters written by him. (Opening timings of Gandhi Memorial Museum are from 10AM to1PM. It again opens in evening from 2 PM to 5.45 PM Except on Fridays)
This temple has high religious significance as well as presents a captivating architecture. What makes it even more enchanting is the natural setting surrounding this temple. With a history that dates back to early Sangam Age (6th century BCE to c. 3rd century CE). Pandyan dynasty is said to have contributed a lot in the architectural development of this temple. One can see intricate sculpting, showcasing stories from various epics.Worship Time: Morning - 06.00AM - 12.30 PM Evening - 03.30 PM - 08.00 PM
Pazhamudhir Solai is the sixth mentioned temple of Lord Murugan’s Arupadai Veedu Temples. Lord Murugan here stands with a posture of single face with Goddesses Valli and Goddess Deivanai on His both sides. Here, ’Avvaiyar’ the famous female Tamil poet and a great devotee of Lord Murugan, was said to be examined by Lord Murugan from His playful drama. The drama of Lord Murugan concerning Avvaiyar was to acquire an answer from her raising the question, “Which fruit is she needed, whether cooked or uncooked”, which is popularly mentioned in Tamil language as “Sutta Pazham or Sudadha Pazham”. Visit timings from 6 AM to 6 PM
The first among the six abodes (Arupadai Veedu Temples) of Lord Murugan. This temple was built in rock-cut architecture and believed to have been built by the Pandyas during the 6th century. The Rajagopuram (Main Tower) of this temple is found with 7 tiered structures, towering 150 feet high at the entrance of the temple. Tirupparankunram which is associated with the divine marriage of Lord Murugan with Goddess Deivanai, so it is considered as a sacred place for Hindu's traditional marriages (open time: 5 am to 1 pm and 4 pm to 9 pm).
Coimbatore Perur Pateeswarar Temple pillars raised in depict the architectural prowess of the Tamil sculptors. This temple associated with Lord Shiva, he known as ‘Patteeswarar’, he is the presiding deity of this temple together with his consort Parvati, who is known as ‘Pachainayaki’. The deity is believed to be ‘Swayambu Lingam’ (self emerged), Pateeswarar ancient temple was built by king Karikala Chola in 7th Century with several gopurams and halls, 'Kanaka Sabha' is the famous one with golden statue of Nataraja. The pillars have carvings of the various manifestations of Shiva and the ceiling has a series of stone chains (opening timings: 05:30am to 13:00pm and 16:00pm to 21:00pm), visit to perur pateeswarar temple is included on Coimbatore sightseeing tour
Subramaniyaswami Temple in Marudamalai is a popular hill temple dedicated to Hindu god Murugan considered as the Seventh House of Lord Murugan. Like most Murugan temples, the temple is situated upon a hillock at a height of about 500 feet in a plateau on the part of the Western Ghats. This sacred shrine verily reflects the picture of Lord Muruga, magnificently mounted on his vehicle peacock, flaunting and swaying its feathers and plume in full bloom, The word Muruga is a comprehensive term, connoting several meanings such as sweetness, youthfulness, beauty, divinity and honey and therefore it is but natural for the Lord to have his abode amidst scenic beauty among hills and mountains (Temple timings: 05:30 am to 13:00 pm and 15:00 pm to 20:00 pm). visit to this temple is included on Coimbatore sightseeing tour
Isha Foundation founded by Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev in 1992. Its purpose is to foster people's spiritual and physical wellbeing through yoga and outreach programs, such as environmental rejuvenation. The core of the Foundation's activities is a customized system of yoga called Isha Yoga. An introductory program, known as Inner Engineering, introduces guided meditations and a powerful inner energy process for deep inner transformation.
The statue of Adiyogi (which means “the first yogi”, because Shiva is known as the originator of yoga) weighs around 500 tonnes and height of 112 feet which is symbolizes the 112 possibilities to attain to liberation, that are mentioned in yogic culture (Visitors timings 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.). tour packages from Coimbatore to Isha foundation available to on book now option.
One of its kind in India with some of the exhibited cars not to be seen anywhere else in the country. Every significant development in the automobile industry along with a lot of wheels from all over the world is on display from a striking replica of the first car in the world – 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen to the newly launched cars. The cars in the main hall are arranged chronologically: from a replica of the first automobile in the world to modern racing cars. Each car is provided with dedicated posters for explaining its evolution with respect to the automobile industry as a whole.The museum displays around 70 models, of which over 30 are from G D Charitable Trust’s collection. Some cars were donated to the museum by auto aficionados from various cities of India and the significant contributions from United States and Germany.
The G.D.Naidu museum and industrial exhibition in Coimbatore contains an impressive collection of various electrical / scientific devices and gadgets that has been in existence since very early years to the recent times. In fact, one visit to this museum would make you familiar with the different types of film cameras, projection TV’s, ball point pens, floppy disks, calculators, type writers, PA systems, printers, and many many more devices that were used right from 1930’s/40’s till today! The photos below show a few of the interesting equipments kept on display.(Open time 9 am to 5:30 pm, Monday Closed)
Get into the history when seeing the 100 years old heritage Museum building, located within forest college campus grounds so you feel it like a mini forest within the city. On entering the museum, you're greeted by a life-sized model of an intimidating Indian Gaur, which was presented by Sir Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar Bahadur, the last Maharaja of the princely State of Mysore. You can see a timber library is also displayed in the museum. Further, an entire range of useful non-timber forest products such as gums and resins, oils, tars, rubber and lacks are also on display. Also look at the rich collection of fruits and seeds, barks, roots, leaves, fibres, bamboo and canes. Take a view of Forest engineering models such as timber stacking and seasoning, forest brides and timber houses are kept here besides a working model of ropeways used for timber extraction, for those who are into entomology, a collection of useful and harmful insects associated with forests are kept on display alongside species of butterflies and moths. There are more than 300 samples of rock, minerals and soil formation from all over the world are housed here. Some of the notable among them are different kinds of mica found in nature. Articles manufactured from forest products including bobbins, shuttles, picker arms and diapers besides carved items are also on display. open between 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. on weekdays except Suterday, Sundays and National Holidays.
Get a unique perspective at the Textile Museum, Which has display on different types of handlooms from across the country and unusual fibre like banana and pineapple. You can also find collection of Saxony wheel, Jurgen spins wheel, tackle spinning, Egyptian spins, Chinese silk weaving, early Egyptian spinning, an Egyptian painting showing spinning and weaving, Leonard DA Vinci’s spinning wheel, and much more are displayed. Continue to visit in the Art Gallery on the other hand, houses traditional Indian art including Thanjavur paintings that are almost a century old. Overseas art from across the world is also on prominent display. (Open time 10 am to 6 pm, Closed on Sunday)
India's first museum exclusively for insects will opened by the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) in Coimbatore. This museum showcases a rich diversity of insects from all over the country as never seen before. The museum speaks realms about the magical world of insects. (Working Days Tuesday to Suterday 10am to 4Pm)
A journey into the evolution of the Police Department with artefacts and other materials of archaeological importance.Uniforms, antique materials, photographs are showcased in the 3,788 sq.ft museum. These artifacts will act as a reminder of the proud history of Police and also enhance the image of Police in a big way. (Open time 9am to 4pam in all days)
Developed by National Council of Science Museums with the active support of Tamilnadu Science & Technology Centre (TNSTC), It houses three permanent galleries, namely ‘Hall of Textile’, ‘How Things Work’ and ‘Fun Science’ and a temporary exhibition hall. It also has 3D film show facility, Inflatable Dome Planetarium, air-conditioned Auditorium with audio-visual equipment, Science Demonstration corner, Children’s Activity corner, Library, Telescope for sky observation and other public facilities. (Open time 10 am to 5:30 pm)